What’s in your pocket?
Many Officials have a bin in their car filled with all that they might need for race day, and fill their pockets/fanny pack/waist pack upon arrival.
Please don’t wear a backpack as it covers the ‘Technical Delegate’ or ‘Race Official’ lettering on your Official’s vest.
* sunscreen, chapstick, bug spray
* raincoat, rain pants, water proof footwear and Ziploc bags (for your phone and rulebook)
* mittens/gloves, heat pack shakers
* bike sleeves work well to keep your arms toasty
* dry socks
* a hat
* a small multi-tool (for removing illegal equipment, cutting zip ties, etc.)
* duct tape (small rolls for tagging, covering mirrors, tube ends, etc.)
* a small notebook and pencil/pen
* whistle on a lanyard
* penalty card (red/yellow/blue)
* current ITU Competition Rulebook
- While not necessary; I do find a contained clipboard convenient. It can hold your race information email, contact numbers, maps, pens, and notes.
- Take a few dollars for food purchases, and throw in a protein bar. Sometimes we are so busy there is no break for a meal, or there’s nothing left by the time we find it.
- ID: your cellphone should have a contact called ICE (in case of emergency) with a name and number we can reach out to if something happens to you. Or add it to your rulebook.
- I sometimes will take the results of the first 3 per age group from the prior year’s race to use as a Results check template.
- It may also help to make a small card up for the common penalties associated with the distances you are officiating that day.